Bismillāh ar-Rahmān ar-Rahīm
In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful
It has been weeks since I’ve been doing my internship at Islamicevents.sg. Most of what I do is sail through the enormous ocean called the World Wide Web. Often times, I find amazing articles – either thought-provoking, heart-wrenching, tears-inducing, or mind-boggling.
It is a shame if I don’t share them, especially when I feel that such things should be brought to attention and awareness should be created. Islamicevents.sg’s mission is as follows:
To develop a highly conscious and technology-savvy ummah that is constantly equipped with the knowledge to live in this fast-changing world.
InsyaAllah I may help to contribute to the “highly conscious” bit with the links, articles or videos that I may share. This sharing would be called Five Friday Fix. Mondays are too dreary to read more things, Wednesdays, people are still trying to clear their work, Fridays, people are generally in a better mood. Also, you’d have the weekend to check them out.
It is my hope that this would generate more comments and spur discussion and to engage like-minded individuals towards a more conscious and socially-aware ummah.
Here are this week’s fixes:
- There has been calls for khutbas to be done in English, especially to the younger crowd and the non-Malay-speaking brothers. Should you want a listen to khutbas in English, check out Cambridge Khutbas that are given every Friday by Shaykh Abdal Hakim Murad.
- Speaking of Shaykh Abdal Hakim Murad, he has written a series of modern-day aphorisms called Contentions. They are a fantastic read.
- If you so wish, you could discuss these Contentions on the Contentions blog.
- For those who missed the recent Doha Debates, you can catch it here. It was about Muslim women’s freedom to marry whom they choose.
- Related to that, here’s an article on Hamas getting into the matchmaking business.
Have fun reading & discovering! Don’t keep those thoughts to yourself though.
Ameera Begum Aslam