Have you paid your Zakat yet? Do you know how to calculate your zakat?
Calculate Zakat? Eh why do we need to calculate Zakat? I thought we only need to pay a certain amount for Zakat. When I was younger I didn’t know about this too. Only recently that I found out that there’s more to it. So don’t worry, everyone have to start and learn from somewhere..
Especially for those whom have have been working they have to pay off their Zakat for their Assets too. The Assets portion can be slightly more complex than the normal Zakat Fitrah and you may find it difficult to calculate for yourself.
So let us break it down to the most simplest forms.
Zakat Fitrah ( According to MUIS website )
– Zakat Fitrah is also known as zakat of the body, zakat of Ramadan and zakat fitri. The period for obligatory payment is between the end of Ramadan and before Hari Raya Aidilfitri.
– The Fitrah rate is equivalent to 2.3kg of the price of Rice in the market today. So its actually not fix from year to year as you know inflation may hike the price.
Zakat Fitrah is a must for eveyone even for children. So that is why for those who cannot afford to pay by themself due to schooling or others, either their parents or siblings are obligated to pay for them.
There’s exceptions though, mention in the MUIS website again..
– Owns food, assets or money that is more than enough for his basic needs and the basic needs of his dependents for one full day (the day and night of 1st Syawal)
– Able to live between 2 periods – end of Ramadan and beginning of Syawal. A person who has passed away before the sun sets or a child born after the sun sets on the night of first Syawal is notobligated to pay the zakat fitrah.
Zakat Harta ( Assets )
- Zakat on Business
- Zakat on CPF Savings
- Zakat on Gold
- Zakat on Savings
- Zakat on Investment, Insurance & Shares
Well as you can see, it can be broken up into different areas. Click on the links above to know more. So if you are still confuse on calculating your Zakat, let the officers help you.
Masjid Al Falah is currently opening up this service via email for the busy people. So you can drop them an email on how to do up the calculations. Please follow this link http://alfalah.org.sg/pages/welcome/zakat-corner.php.
Well if you want to drop by the Masjid, here are the list of participating masjids. Click here to view the pdf file.
For those who wonder where does all these Zakat funds goes to, please click the link below to view the videos prepared by MUIS.. http://www.muis.gov.sg/cms/services/zkt.aspx?id=730